Reasons why you should knit your own socks
- They will always fit. The heel will always be in the right place, and the width and toe will always fit snugly in the right place. This also means that your foot won't fall asleep because your socks are too tight and your socks won't flop off because the toe is too long. We are confident once you start knitting socks you will add them into your crafting routine.
2. One word "Cankles"- If you have them you know it and you also know how uncomfortable it is to have socks that are too narrow in the leg. It hurts and there is nothing you can do about them. People who are afflicted with edema often can't find socks that fit them right because of the swelling and knitting them their very own special socks make wonderful gifts.
3. If you are an outdoors person or know someone who is then you are familiar with the phrase "cotton kills". When you are tromping through the wilderness it is so important for your own safety to take good care of your feet. A good alternative, wool, also tend to be pretty pricey and you may know how expensive a good pair of wool socks are. A good pair of wool hunting or hiking socks costs about $20-15 a pair and a ball of our a step above 100% wool sock yarn costs $4.99 per skein, so it is much cheaper to make your own.
4. Christmas Gifts! Socks make a wonderful Christmas gift. Socks work up quickly, you can customize them for the receiver and everyone loves socks at Christmas especially good socks.
5. Unique designs that you control. Once you've made a few there are so many variations of socks to be made the customizations are endless and it's a great way to practice a new stitch or technique before starting a big project.So now that we have thoroughly convinced ourselves that we must knit some amazing socks lets look at the patterns we will be working throughout the months of October and November. Mary Maxim's A Step Above sock yarn in Grand Canyon. We selected this yarn because it's 100% Superwash Wool and incredibly soft. Mary Maxim Footloose yarn. Footloose is 450yards per skein and is 75% Superwash Wool and 25% Nylon. Footloose is a special yarn because of its vibrant colors. These colors make for a "Wow!" project